Are you down with your window lingo?


When it comes to choosing windows for your new build or renovation it can all seem a little overwhelming at first, sash this, awning that, transoms and mullions…..what does it all mean? Let’s go through some of the window lingo you need to know to help you with your window selection and you’ll be throwing around words like stile, jamb and reveals in next to no time.

Let's start with the basics, the window frame; 

Now let's move on to the Sash, which is the moving frame that holds the glass of the window. A double hung window is made up of two movable sashes, the upper and lower sash or can also be referred to as the outer and inner sash. On a sliding window the glassed part of the window that slides is known as the sash.

Let's take a closer look at the diagram below;

Are there any window terms you have heard that you would like us to explain? Comment below and we will be glad to help.

Thanks to the Australian Window Association for the use of their diagrams to help explain some of the most common window lingo.


Post has no comments.


No Very

Captcha Image